During the summer, skin needs protection from the sun. When the weather gets cooler, the methods we use to keep our skin healthy needs to change too. This way our skin can glow all throughout the year.
When fall and winter arrive, you can take care of your skin so it can be ready for the dry heat indoors, and the cold and wind of winter.
Here’s what you can do to prepare your skin for the onslaught of winter:
Skin Tips for Cooler Weather
- Stay hydrated – Many people think that drinking water is only important when you are exercising or the weather is hot. However, it is just as important when the weather begins to dry out. Continue to drink at least eight glasses of water a day to replenish water lost through sweating, urination and normal cellular activity.
- Use a humidifier – Dry air can cause skin to become red and itchy. Restore moisture to the air with a humidifier. A cool mist humidifier in your room at night can give keep just enough moisture in the air to make sleeping comfortable.
- Find a good moisturizer – Regular lotions contain perfumes and additives that can actually dry your skin. Look for a moisturizing product that is light but also oil based so that it absorbs into the skin well.
- Remember to exfoliate – It is still important to remove dead skin cells from the surface of your skin. Old cells can clog pores leading to acne and irritation. Once a week, use a good scrub (such as a sugar scrub) to gently remove any clinging dead cells from your face and body.
- Protect your lips – Lips can become chapped easily when the weather turns chilly. Keep them from peeling and cracking with lip balm. Choose one with a sunscreen added if you plan to be out in the sun a lot. Apply as needed to keep lips moisturized and supple.
- Wear gloves outside – Skin on hands can easily be affected by the elements. When you go outside, wear a good pair of gloves. They will hold in moisture and keep your hands warm.
- Avoid drying out your skin – We often forget that we have skin underneath of our hair. The scalp can become dry and itchy when we use blow dryers and other hot styling tools on the hair – especially in winter time. Keep the scalp protected by putting away your blow dryer. Towel dry your hair to protect the skin of your scalp.
- Wear socks to bed – You may want to do this if it gets cold in your house in the winter. The reason here is to keep the skin on your feet soft. Moisturize them before bed and wear socks to keep them soft.
Preparing for winter means more than just warming your home. Protect your skin from the elements with these tips.